Escalate too late and the cost compounds; escalate too early and you spend your own autonomy — the skill is telling which is which.
Not every problem should go up the chain, and not every problem should stay with you. Before you decide, run a quick test on three things: how irreversible it is, how wide the , and whether it’s yours to own.
Then, if you do raise it, do it well: inform early, bring options not just problems, and never surprise your manager.
First score the severity, then match your response to it and to ownership:
severity = irreversibility, blast radius, time pressure (weigh all three)
it’s YOURS to own
low severity -> handle it (deciding it yourself builds trust)
moderate severity -> handle it, but inform early (no surprises)
high severity -> escalate WITH options + a recommendation
it’s NOT yours to own -> loop in the owner early; escalate if it’s serious
going around your manager -> almost never; it burns trust fastest
Two failure modes sit on either side of the right call: too late (you sat on something severe and the cost compounded) and too early (you handed up something small and spent your own autonomy).
| Response | Fits when | The trade-off |
|---|---|---|
| Handle it | Reversible, contained, and yours to decide | Handling something truly severe alone is the classic late escalation |
| Inform (FYI) | You can handle it, but it’s visible enough that a surprise would sting | A stream of FYIs on trivia reads as low confidence |
| Escalate with options | High severity, or the call isn’t yours to make alone | Bring choices, not just a problem — and do it early |
| Go around | Only a genuine ethics/safety block, via a named channel | Skipping your manager as an ambush burns trust fastest |
“Tell me about a time you had to escalate something.”
“During a release I owned QA for, I found a bug that would silently corrupt customer records, and a rollback after ship would be painful. That’s high on all three: irreversible, wide blast radius, and time-critical — and the go/no-go wasn’t mine to make alone. So I didn’t sit on it and I didn’t just send a worried FYI. I pinged my lead immediately with the finding, the blast radius, and three options — hold the release, ship with the feature flagged off, or hotfix and re-test — with a recommendation to hold. We held, fixed it, and shipped a day later. Raising it early with options meant a two-minute decision instead of an incident.”
You can fix a minor, reversible config issue in your own service in five minutes. Best move?
You must escalate a serious, time-sensitive issue. What makes it land well?